Ferrari splits in half.......... - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Other > Discussion of other Marques

Discussion of other Marques Area for discussing the many other exciting cars besides Lamborghini.

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Ferrari splits in half..........

Killing MMA figure and co-founder of TapouT clothing line Charles Lewis.

Charles Lewis Dies in Crash

I'm posting it in this section because I have noticed that there have been many Ferrari crashes where the car just outright split into two pieces(Even an Enzo). Is this a testament to a design flaw in the cars that give it no real structural integrity despite it's legendary status and 6-7 figure price? I mean yes you have to respect any car you drive as it can split in half in any type of serious crash. And just because the car goes super fast and is more expensive doesn't automatically make you a great driver either. But this just really seems to happen with the Ferrari marquee the most within the exotic car realm. I mean why give someone a sandwich full of extra meat if the bread won't even stay together and it's one of the most expensive items on the menu?

What is really going on with those cars? I mean I feel bad for the guy and his family, but is it more on driver error or just a really bad design flaw that Ferrari just will not address.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Onyx Site Supporter

I'd say give the car the benefit of the doubt and blame the driver.

1 AM, crash with a Porsche, sounds like racing to me. At night no less.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:32 PM

Yeah, we don't know the whole story on this one....

The bits are... Speed, an immovable object and it was helped along by a Porsche and a couple possibly drunk drivers....

Still scary.... Makes me think abou the times I've been stupid but never a DUI ......

Don Smith
92 Diablo NLA 12 714 (Bond Car)
Old 03-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Gold Site Supporter

Gallery: 46

It is very sad. You have a stationary object and a large moving mass made of aluminum coming together. The aluminum car does not stand a chance at those speeds. If the car was solid and did not give the drivers body would experience more of the force causing death as well. Cars were not meant to be street raced, but I guess those that do it think it will never happen to them. We see it time after time and have lost some good members to it. I am just glad that innocent bystanders were not injured or killed.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:44 AM

I have heard that Ferraris are designed to split in half to separate the big and heavy engine compartment from the passengers in a serious crash, but that accident looks like it happened so fast and hard that everything pretty much went to pieces.

At least the doors look like they're in one piece, lending some credit to Ferrari's insistence that they don't need side airbags.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 PM

They are designed to split in half.

Much like F1 cars... they are meant to break in specific ways. The entire cockpit should be one egg-like-piece, and the split usually happens behind or in front of the driver/passenger cockpit.

The following pictures happened at above 120 mph conditions. The driver was safe and was able to walk away from the scene without issues. This is incredibly safe... although the car ends up looking horrific. It's the price you pay for safety.

"From the heavy rumble of a stormy night, through the trumpeting of mighty elephants, to the roar of a raging lion, the SuperVeloce performs the grand opera for 12 cylinders, 48 valves, and 8000 revs!"

Last edited by VWA2MKII; 07-09-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Gold Site Supporter

Gallery: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWA2MKII View Post
They are designed to split in half.

Much like F1 cars... they are meant to break in specific ways. The entire cockpit should be one egg-like-piece, and the split usually happens behind or in front of the driver/passenger cockpit.

The following pictures happened at above 120 mph conditions. The driver was safe and was able to walk away from the scene without issues. This is incredibly safe... although the car ends up looking horrific. It's the price you pay for safety.

true but this one split at the seats causing death. When street racing, there is no safety.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Other > Discussion of other Marques

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.