Experience and thoughts regarding protective wrap over matte paint - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Huracan

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2017, 02:31 AM

Gallery: 0
Default Experience and thoughts regarding protective wrap over matte paint

I love Grigio Titans, but want to protect it from damage once I start getting the car out this spring. Has anyone done a clear protective wrap over their matte paint? Any damage when it's removed?

I hate the thought of covering it up. Especially since it will likely lead to comments on the matte finish just being a wrap. But it's a fragile enough paint that I think extra protection is warranted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 AM

Gallery: 11

I have no matte paint but used clear XPEL to protect front and side of the car. The wrapper offered me a gloss, matte or satin finish and showed me a matte grey SLR that was protected with a satin finish. They told me that there is no difference in quality and durability but the matte paint has to be prepared more intensively with a coating before they apply the film. This will make it easier to remove after 5 years or so.

But I personally don't think that the matte paint is more fragile than glossy one. To me the surface feels harder and washing/detailing is easier. Also you'll not see the many fingerprints on the doors after parked in the city (but you'll see them on the windows).

BTW, I have let them first do the mirrors to see how it comes out as I was worried that the color will look different. But it was perfect and let them do the whole front and side rockers. This will not let you judge how well it can be removed but gives you an idea if the look of the paint will be different with the film on it.

12'Mustang GT - 6M - Kona Blue - Edelbrock supercharged - Roush
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 12:53 PM

If you want some products that are top shelf for caring for matte finishes, try these. They will care for the parts that you may not clear-wrap.
They sell complete matte care kits and individual items ( la carte). Pricey, but they work.
Matte Cars - Matte Paint Prescription | Dr. Beasley's Page 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matte-car-touch-up-spray.jpg (27.1 KB, 13 views)
1971 Corvette LT-1
1977 Lotus Esprit
1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo
1990 Lotus Esprit Turbo SE
1997 Viper GTS Coupe
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo (manual)
2009 Lamborghini LP560-4 (manual)
2013 McLaren 12C Coupe
2016 Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:55 PM

I used Xpel Stealth on my matte black paint and it look great!!! Rest of the car is Xpel Ultimate and it also looks great! Highly recommended!!
'94 Viper RT/10 (sold)
Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby3 View Post

BTW, I have let them first do the mirrors to see how it comes out as I was worried that the color will look different. But it was perfect and let them do the whole front and side rockers. This will not let you judge how well it can be removed but gives you an idea if the look of the paint will be different with the film on it.
Good idea on doing a small area like the mirrors to check it first!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Gallery: 5

I agree with wrapping the most vulnerable parts, but the rest should get C-Quartz Ceramic paint protection. I did 2016 in the CQuartzs with no wrap at all. Only thing I didn't like was that it cost as much as full wrap.

2012 Gallardo Black 550-2 Spyder
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
2016 Huracan Blu Lemans 610-4 Spyder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
2017 Huracan Giallo Midas 610-4 Spyder
New
Old 03-18-2017, 09:16 PM

Is it safe to put clear bra on Matte paint? Won't it pull the paint?
Old 03-19-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djantlive View Post
Is it safe to put clear bra on Matte paint? Won't it pull the paint?
No. Just prepare the paint well at first with a coating and put a matte clear film on it. With this the film can be better removed later.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampante View Post
If you want some products that are top shelf for caring for matte finishes, try these. They will care for the parts that you may not clear-wrap.
They sell complete matte care kits and individual items ( la carte). Pricey, but they work.
Matte Cars - Matte Paint Prescription | Dr. Beasley's Page 1
Thanks for the recommendation. All my usual go to brands fail to carry a matte line. So I'll have to start trying new detailing products! Swissvax was another one I've read good things about. But not sure if it's because the product is good, or because it was the only thing on the market for some time.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalista View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. All my usual go to brands fail to carry a matte line. So I'll have to start trying new detailing products! Swissvax was another one I've read good things about. But not sure if it's because the product is good, or because it was the only thing on the market for some time.
I live about half an hour away from the Swissvax headquarter and gave them my H for correcting the paint. I also attended a class for detailing and we used their products on a matte car. Result was perfect ! The products are expensive (I use car bath, Lotus speed and Autobahn wheel wax) but they also last long.

If you use XPEL to protect your matte paint then use their own maintenance products. The wrapper offered them to me but told me that other products like Swissvax work too without a doubt. The local Mercedes dealer also has a care line for their matte colors. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of these

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Huracan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.