Military and future success - Page 2 - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Dreamers Forum

Dreamers Forum Kids This Is For You!

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Gallery: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravill View Post
Yup, reading SingleSeat's posts like that makes me smile too.

Naval Aviation is a subset of aviation that is one of my other dreams. Too bad I get motion sickness in the small planes and I'm already in my mid 30's too damn old!
Haha no motion sickness while flying around in the little Gallardo?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Instead of an out all enlistment have you thought about the Reserves or National Guard. I have been in the National Guard for 9 years now and it paid for my education. I was able to do my one weekend a month and go to school full time. The school was free and my GIBILL paid me to go to school. I have BS in Business Administration and do nothing with it I was in banking for a few years as lender but now I work for DoD (Department of Defense just in-case). I am a CROWS (Common Remotely Operated Weapon System) instructor and technician. Only reason I was able to get the job was because of my Military. The job is right up my alley as I teach troops how to use the weapon system and trouble shoot. I get to travel across the US to different bases and meet new people and am also offered a chance to do my job overseas for more money. I am also building my flight packet for rotary wing pilot with the National Guard and my job will let me take off as much as I need to with out any hassle like a civilian job.

also while I do not have Lamborghini at the moment I will someday. I turn 30 in a month and am buying a 08 Corvette z06. If I would stop buying and selling stuff I would have had my Lambo by now.

2012 Camaro SS and 05 Colorado 4x4
Old cars worth mentioning 2006 CTS-V, 2000 PORSCHE 911, 2005 CORVETTE ,2007 SILVERADO Z71 ALL JACKED UP , 2006 CORVETTE, and 2008 AUDI S4. Lots of motorcycles

Last edited by the fast one; 11-11-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fast one View Post
Instead of an out all enlistment have you thought about the Reserves or National Guard. I have been in the National Guard for 9 years now and it paid for my education. I was able to do my one weekend a month and go to school full time. The school was free and my GIBILL paid me to go to school. I have BS in Business Administration and do nothing with it I was in banking for a few years as lender but now I work for DoD (Department of Defense just in-case). I am a CROWS (Common Remotely Operated Weapon System) instructor and technician. Only reason I was able to get the job was because of my Military. The job is right up my alley as I teach troops how to use the weapon system and trouble shoot. I get to travel across the US to different bases and meet new people and am also offered a chance to do my job overseas for more money. I am also building my flight packet for rotary wing pilot with the National Guard and my job will let me take off as much as I need to with out any hassle like a civilian job.

also while I do not have Lamborghini at the moment I will someday. I turn 30 in a month and am buying a 08 Corvette z06. If I would stop buying and selling stuff I would have had my Lambo by now.
I have thought about it. The University I attended(and would return to if that's the choice I make) has an Air Force base about an hour away. I've looked at available ANG jobs and they have interesting ones. My only problem is not having a vehicle during the school year. Of course, I could probably get one if I really needed it.

So National Guard is drill once a month? Do you then have a summer obligation to stay on base? It seems like a great route, I just haven't had the chance to talk to a National Guard recruiter and active duty recruiters haven't been able to give me much information on it.

The CROWS system looks awesome by the way. Happy (late) Veterans Day.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM

I'm a retired USA LTC. I retired 23 years ago (was selected for Colonel, but retired anyway). I've now had one complete additional career, and own my own company. I don't have to work, but since I work for myself these days, it works. My Dad was also a career Army officer, and my son went to West Point, served 5 years, and is now a Sr VP with a large bank (his employer paid for his MBA, by the way). I would say that the military gave me a terrific launch platform. Not only have I been collecting retirement for longer than I served, the message from my Army career -- and Vietnam service -- was that I had character and values. From my experience, if you have those, a lot of organizations are willing to invest in the rest. Financial security really came later in my life -- and while I won't get into specifics -- well into the mid to high 6 figure range. I believe that if you have energy, are smart -- and have some luck (let's face it, right place right time does make a difference), you will do well in whatever you set out to do. And, I'm sure you've heard this hundreds of times, but money does not buy happiness. It does provide access to enjoying lots of wonderful things, but the most important thing in my life is my family -- my son and my 2 grandkids. (Oh, and my 6 year old grandson still thinks my Lambo is "too loud" -- give him about 5 more years, right??)

2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2008 Mercedes S550
2012 Mini Convertible
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 w/Cummins 6.7L
2012 28' Airstream International Signature
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by first44 View Post
I'm a retired USA LTC. I retired 23 years ago (was selected for Colonel, but retired anyway). I've now had one complete additional career, and own my own company. I don't have to work, but since I work for myself these days, it works. My Dad was also a career Army officer, and my son went to West Point, served 5 years, and is now a Sr VP with a large bank (his employer paid for his MBA, by the way). I would say that the military gave me a terrific launch platform. Not only have I been collecting retirement for longer than I served, the message from my Army career -- and Vietnam service -- was that I had character and values. From my experience, if you have those, a lot of organizations are willing to invest in the rest. Financial security really came later in my life -- and while I won't get into specifics -- well into the mid to high 6 figure range. I believe that if you have energy, are smart -- and have some luck (let's face it, right place right time does make a difference), you will do well in whatever you set out to do. And, I'm sure you've heard this hundreds of times, but money does not buy happiness. It does provide access to enjoying lots of wonderful things, but the most important thing in my life is my family -- my son and my 2 grandkids. (Oh, and my 6 year old grandson still thinks my Lambo is "too loud" -- give him about 5 more years, right??)
Thanks for the input! As far as money not buying happiness I definitely agree. I'm not trying to make money. I'm trying to be successful. It's good to hear from others that the military helped you in life. Thank you for your service.

Yes, your grandson will eventually cost you lots of trips to the gas station once he falls in love with it.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by first44 View Post
Agree with this and single seat.

What year did your son graduate WP? I am a 2001 grad.

Sold #FLA12191 in 2002
Currently
Jalpa #FLA12242 In NH as a parts car (waiting on another Jalpa sale for an engine and trans in order to be rebuilt debating an LS1 and MR2 trans axle transplant)
Jalpa #JLA12411 Possibly the farthest North Lamborghini in the World (On its way to NH for a refresh arriving the last week on Aug 2012)
Jalpa #JLA12382 Finished and in Clovis, NM. The car is amazing!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM

He graduated in '96. So, you were lucky and he didn't haze you during Beast!

2008 Mercedes S550
2012 Mini Convertible
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM

Granted, this discussion pertains more to general career fields rather than specialties. A nuclear power guy is likely to make a seamless transition to civilian nuclear power employment whereas the general officer such as a ship-driving surface warfare type or infantry officer would seek to leverage his general leadership experience and education to flex with any industry. I started in tactical aviation and I'm still in tactical aviation; i.e. I didn't have a need to go into something that was completely 180-out from my active duty path, like pharmaceuticals or banking, because there was still demand for me to remain with gray airplanes.

Re: first44, I know many organizations from construction to fruit juice bottlers that lean on firms like Corporate Gray to snatch up separating service members, but I haven't seen the interest in earnest across the board. Maybe they're distracted, who knows, but I'd dare to say that a lot of companies pay lip service to hiring veteran officers because it sounds good, yet they don't really realize the outstanding package they could be getting. I was called a brainwashed babykiller at a relative's funeral by some 20-something kids in the family, so there you have it. It's also shocking what some companies think is acceptable salary for a 10-20yr officer or specialty skill-set individual. That isn't to say that every veteran out there is the best thing since sliced bread, but at least they have some known quantities under their belt.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Single Seat has good points. I think what most corporations resonate to is that most military folks have solid character and values. (Yeah, not too happy with the Petraeus situation...but we'll let this one vegetate.) I have a couple of really close retired USAF and USN 4 star friends. I can tell you that they would have easily made the CEO suite in any large organization. (And I've been in the corporate leadership business for more than 25 years.) The salary issue is always there as they know you've got a pretty nice package before you sign on. But, for a young guy starting out who wants early responsibility, a pretty well circumscribed development path, and a fair shake for promotion, the military has much to recommend it. And, you also get the chance to blow stuff up!

2008 Mercedes S550
2012 Mini Convertible
Old 11-17-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleSeat View Post
Granted, this discussion pertains more to general career fields rather than specialties. A nuclear power guy is likely to make a seamless transition to civilian nuclear power employment whereas the general officer such as a ship-driving surface warfare type or infantry officer would seek to leverage his general leadership experience and education to flex with any industry. I started in tactical aviation and I'm still in tactical aviation; i.e. I didn't have a need to go into something that was completely 180-out from my active duty path, like pharmaceuticals or banking, because there was still demand for me to remain with gray airplanes.

Re: first44, I know many organizations from construction to fruit juice bottlers that lean on firms like Corporate Gray to snatch up separating service members, but I haven't seen the interest in earnest across the board. Maybe they're distracted, who knows, but I'd dare to say that a lot of companies pay lip service to hiring veteran officers because it sounds good, yet they don't really realize the outstanding package they could be getting. I was called a brainwashed babykiller at a relative's funeral by some 20-something kids in the family, so there you have it. It's also shocking what some companies think is acceptable salary for a 10-20yr officer or specialty skill-set individual. That isn't to say that every veteran out there is the best thing since sliced bread, but at least they have some known quantities under their belt.
I've always wondered about what ex military officers do if they leave the military. I know some people get work for the DOD and the like but, SingleSeat, did it/does it seem that many get work pertaining to their college major?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Dreamers Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.