Lamborghini SUV Confirmed: Source - Autoweek - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Aventador

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Lamborghini SUV Confirmed: Source - Autoweek

Lamborghini SUV confirmed - Autoweek
Lamborghini SUV confirmed

BOB GRITZINGER
A Lamborghini SUV would join the Aventador, shown, and the Gallardo in the Italian automaker's lineup.

By: Greg Kable on 2/01/2012

Related Articles
Last Lamborghini Diablo to cross the block at Barrett-Jackson auction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lamborghini Gallardo LP 550-2 Spyder adds rear-drive power, open-air fun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lamborghini unleashes race-bred Gallardo at Frankfurt auto show

A senior source at Lamborghini's parent company Audi in Ingolstadt, Germany, has confirmed reports suggesting that the Italian supercar maker is close to revealing a dramatically styled and luxuriously equipped SUV/crossover concept that previews its long-touted third model.

"I can't comment in detail but the speculation in the press is largely correct," an Audi manager revealed when questioned about reports outlining plans by Lamborghini to gauge public response to a successor to the famed LM002 with a new SUV concept.

Set to get its first public airing at the Beijing motor show in late April, the new SUV/crossover will extend the current Lamborghini lineup, joining the successor to today's Gallardo and the recently introduced Aventador in what will at least be a three-strong model lineup from Sant'Agata from 2016 onward. Lamborghini has not confirmed the reports.

An unprecedented fourth model--a low-slung four-door sedan previewed by the well-received Estoque concept first wheeled out at the 2008 Paris motor show--is also under consideration and, in the words of Autoweek's Ingolstadt sources, "shouldn't be ruled out as a further addition to the lineup should studies reveal there is a market for such a car."

Conceived as an upmarket rival for the likes of the Maserati Kubang, the BMW X6 and a similar four-door coupelike off-roader recently confirmed by Mercedes-Benz and likely to be called the MLC, the new Lamborghini SUV was conceived to sell in numbers of less than 1,500 annually, suggesting its price will be upwards of $200,000 in North America. Key markets for the new performance-orientated four-wheel drive are expected to be the United States and China.

Nothing is official at this early stage, but suggestions are that the 197-inch-long four-seater will go on sale with a detuned version of the Gallardo's 5.2-liter V10 engine developing in the region of 580 hp. Also envisaged is a hybrid version of the big four-wheel drive. It is said to combine the standard V10 with a 107-hp (80-kilowatt) electric motor and a lithium-ion battery pack, providing a system output of somewhere near 660 hp.

Rumors suggesting that the successor to the LM002 could also be offered with a specially tuned version of Audi's new twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 and/or a twin-turbocharged 6.0-liter V12 common-rail diesel have been indirectly denied by Lamborghini chairman Stefan Winkelmann, who says Lamborghini will not adopt turbocharged engines of any kind this decade.

Known under the internal code name LB736, the new Lamborghini SUV/crossover is planned to share its underpinnings with the next-generation Audi Q7, which is also set to provide the basis for a new Bentley off-roader. The so-called MLB architecture will, in short-wheelbase form, also sit beneath successors to today's Porsche Cayenne and Volkswagen Touareg.

Already undergoing intensive development at Audi, the future MLB structure is planned to undergo a dramatic weight-reduction program, with Ingolstadt officials suggesting savings of up to 880 pounds for the Q7 through the use of added aluminum and carbon fiber. The high-tech construction will be picked up by Lamborghini to ensure that its new SUV/crossover comes in at less than 4,400 pounds.

As with the current Q7, Cayenne and Touareg, the Lamborghini SUV is expected to be partly produced at the Volkswagen Group's factory in Bratislava, Slovakia, with final assembly taking place at Lamborghini's Sant'Agata plant near Modena, Italy.

Read more: Lamborghini SUV confirmed - Autoweek
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM

"An unprecedented fourth model"

Well, no, actually, in 1972/73, technically, there was overlap time where they built the Miura, Espada, Jarama, and Urraco.

I don't like the premise. A Lambo "SUV" should not have "rivals" be they anywhere on the spectrum. It shouldn't share a platform (especially if it's over 200k!). It ought to be independent, unique, and aspirational. The marketing whizzes will screw this one up.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 PM

I wouldn't call Maserati, BMW, etc "rivals" of Lamborghini, regardless of vehicle class/platform. I highly doubt there will ever be anyone at any point in time trying to decide whether they want to buy a BMW X6 or a $200,000+ Lambo SUV. This will be in a class all it's own. A ridiculous class, but a class of it's own nonetheless. I personally can't wait to see what they come up with as far as styling, and to see if they put that V12 in it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the info SPEED DEMON!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 AM

Well I guess it's good for used buyers. It'll lower the Lamborghini resell prices but at the same it'll help tarnish the brand a bit.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurean bull View Post
The marketing whizzes will screw this one up.
Yes...and all we will be able to do is helplessly stand by and watch...
Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev647 View Post
Yes...and all we will be able to do is helplessly stand by and watch...
People will vote with their wallet towards one way or another.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpusch View Post
People will vote with their wallet towards one way or another.
Oh I agree...but the brand will be certainly affected by the new product and how it is marketed which will have an influence on how some people perceive this product. And I would rather people not vote down with their dollars as the brand will certainly suffer a little bit.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev647 View Post
Oh I agree...but the brand will be certainly affected by the new product and how it is marketed which will have an influence on how some people perceive this product. And I would rather people not vote down with their dollars as the brand will certainly suffer a little bit.
Yup. I think most people here agree with this statement.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 PM

I feel another SUV would totally ruin the brand. Personally, I hope this bites the dust but that could screw up Lamborghini financially....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Aventador

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.